View Profile JauqAr

5 Game Reviews

I like the "you are your own worst enemy" mechanic, and it flows surprisingly well with Pac-Man style gameplay.

Overall I'd say the game is solid gameplay-wise.

Music is bad. I recommend looking up some tutorials on music theory. Those'll help out on future compositions. Or even just use some of Newgrounds' music. There are plenty of people offering their music for free to game makers on Newgrounds.

Also the art here is rather boring, it's all different sized parallelograms. I know graphics aren't everything, but believe me when I say that people love a good looking game. Stylized graphics aren't very difficult to pull off (I guess different sized parallelograms is a style. It just isn't a very nice one).

I wish you luck on your next venture.

FSt-Germain responds:

Thanks for the awesome review and great feedback :)
you can turn off music in the settings, but I agree the music needs work and graphics could use some more flare.

Thanks!

The game is really simple. Since it was only made in four hours, that's all I really have to say about it.

I would maybe like to see a much longer version of this, with unique characters and such. Maybe with some puzzle platforming.

That is all,
Jauq

FSt-Germain responds:

Thanks for the feedback. I think that my first game Barriers is what your thinking of.

I'm gonna be a bit tough on this one.
Starting off with the game design; overall it's unique, and I like the inclusion of a High Score system (Did you know Newgrounds API has a High Score system http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-api/reference/api#wiki_toc_21, If you know how to use the API I recommend it),
but I think score should be based off of how long the player is able to keep the civilians alive, rather than how many civilians are left at the end of the time (that's just personal opinion). Something that bothered me was that sometimes the civilians on fire can run faster than I can fly, there were multiple cases where I was trying to put one out, but it ran away and died. I think maybe making either the civilians slower or the protagonist faster could be a solution.

Next I found the constant screams of the civilians loud and annoying, and the music (while decent sounding) doesn't seem to match the game play. I personally would've chose something faster and more intense.

Furthermore, I found the graphics, not bad, but inconsistent. I personally dislike inconsistency a lot (an example would be the shading on the shirt/jacket. Some of the pixels are smaller than others.)

Lastly for a game that was made in 48 hours I would say it's pretty good (It's definitely better than some games I've seen before).

I give it 3.5 Stars.

FSt-Germain responds:

Thanks! we really appreciate the feedback. We thought about score being based on how long you keep the civilians alive, but it was too easy just to find one and keep them alive. However I agree that some more time should've been spent planning how the scoring system would've worked.

I think this feedback is excellent. It outlines everything that needs work. We all appreciate it and can learn something from it. Our next Ludum Dare game will be top notch.

Thanks again, and can't wait to play another one of your games dude.

17 Audio Reviews

Mighty Neato, I could listen to more of this genre. The instruments work well together. Perhaps a little repetitive.

teddygram responds:

Thanks! That's true, it is a bit repetitive, figured it could work with a rapper over it or something though. Thanks for the review!

Pretty good listen. Chords and instruments sound good. I could see it being used for your intention. Could be longer.

madboss responds:

Yes, it could be longer, however I composed this song to work as a trailer song, and those are optimally around 2-2,5 minutes long. So this is why the shorter length. Nevertheless thanks for your rating and your comment, and I'm glad you liked the song!

I enjoyed the song, but I will say that I am not a huge fan of the (Saw Blade?) Instument that starts playing at around 0:28. Don't know what to call that instrument.
Won't let that take off a star however. I rate by quality not opinion. :)

My name is Tim Anfilofieff, online I go by Jauq/JauqAr/JauqGames. I do a bunch of stuff but I mostly develop and play games.

Tim Anfilofieff @JauqAr